Mark your calendars because Broadway in Cincinnati is bringing the play Wicked to town starting tomorrow!
So much happened before Dorothy dropped in. WICKED, the Broadway sensation, looks at what happened in the Land of Oz…but from a different angle. Long before Dorothy arrives, there is another young woman, born with emerald-green skin—smart, fiery, misunderstood, and possessing an extraordinary talent. When she meets a bubbly blonde who is exceptionally popular, their initial rivalry turns into the unlikeliest of friendships…until the world decides to call one “good,” and the other one “wicked.”
The show will run for five weeks, and there are still plenty of great seats available! Wondering which night may be the best to go? You’ll find the best prices on weeknights! You can even buy tickets in person at the Aronoff Center Ticket Office to avoid most fees.
Keep in mind: Shows like this often bring out the worst tickets scams. Don’t get scammed – be sure you are buying at CincinnatiArts.org, the official Aronoff Center Ticketing Site, not a 3rd party ticket seller that may come up in a Google search.
A big thank you to my intern Kelly who was able to sit down and chat more with Your Stylist, LLC CEO Jackie Neville! Check out this blog post to learn more about her journey through Aviatra Accelerators!
Have you ever felt the need to vamp up your wardrobe, and not know where to begin? That’s where a Cincy Chic client, Jackie Neville, CEO of Your Stylist, LLC- comes to the rescue!
This Wednesday, come support Neville as she concludes an exciting adventure to expand her business and receive $25K in funding!
It all began when Neville applied in December to participate in Bad Girl Ventures – a program that provides small business education, mentoring, and connections to capital for women. She knew several women business owners who had gone through the program themselves so she decided to give it a try. After answering detailed questions about her business, submitting her plan, and providing references, Neville was informed that she had been chosen to be in the program! “Honestly, since my business [Your Stylist, LLC] wasn’t even quite a year old when I applied, I didn’t think I would get accepted because they only choose five businesses for LAUNCH and get tons of applications,” says Neville. “Classes began in March while Bad Girl Ventures was rebranded as Aviatra Accelerators. I am excited to be the first group to complete LAUNCH classes as an Aviatra!”
As a business owner, Aviatra Accelerators helped Neville piece together her ideas in an organized way and understand what it takes to create a successful company. For Flight Night on Wednesday, May 10th, Neville has been preparing by completing the assigned work and doing additional work on her business plan. Finalists are required to complete their financials that contain three-year projections (2017, 2018, 2019). They also have to include their business plan and marketing strategy along with the pitch. “I am not a numbers person but it has to be done and this a big piece of what we are presenting. I was able to organize my growth plan in phases after speaking with a board member about my idea to expand,” says Neville.
“As part of my pitch with Aviatra, my plan for expansion will be covered. In the Midwest, there is a misconception that stylists are for celebrities, ritzy people or pretentious people-which is false. I work with real women of all ages and sizes who have careers, busy lives and budgets. My idea is to expand to other cities in the Midwest because most stylists are on the east and west coasts,” says Neville. The most important aspect of her brand is helping each client become the best version of themselves.
Now, she is rehearsing for the public pitch this Wednesday! Finalists will have 8 minutes to present and at the end of the evening, $25k will be awarded to the winner in order to make their business dreams come true.
Learn more about “style therapy” and what sets Neville’s services apart from other stylists in her pitch this Wednesday or visit her website.
With baby #2 on the way (who was a pleasant surprise!), we had to get SUPER creative on our closet and storage space. We decided to keep the nursery a nursery for the new baby since Lola was just about ready to start transitioning to a “big girl” bed anyway! And the guest bedroom will now be Lola’s room. Sounds easy, right?
I wish! ;-)Not only does losing our guest bedroom mean we had to figure out where to put our guests when they stay over, but that room was also where I kept all my clothes (because my fashion-loving husband took up our entire Master Bedroom walk-in closet!).
So, we just had some construction done on the house to add another walk-in onto our Master, and we’re making some tweaks to the basement to now be used a guest suite.
Needless to say, I’m REALLY excited to soon have a closet attached to our bedroom since I’ve had to go into a completely separate room for my “closet” for years! And now I’m REALLY REALLY excited because I just learned about California Closets’ Autumn Upgrade Event!!
So here’s the deal. They have three tiers of finishes: Classic is the first level, Lago second level, and Tesoro is their premium third level. The way the Upgrade Event promo works is you can upgrade to Lago for price of Classic, upgrade to Tesoro for the price of Lago. That’s a HUGE savings (up to 20%!) but it’s only going on now through October 31. You have to act fast if you want to take advantage of this free upgrade* to one of their exclusive Italian-inspired woodgrain finishes for the same price as their classic white finish.
These upgraded finishes give you amazing rich wood textures that give you some great color contrasts and hints of European design. Give them a call (513-793-3055) to request your complimentary in-home design consultation today, or drop in their FABULOUS Kenwood showroom. We just did an event there, and you’ll LOVE it! Such an inspiring place to create the closet of your dreams! 🙂
Painting is one of the easiest and least expensive DIY projects for your home. That’s what M/I Homes’ Design Center Manager, Jenny Entler, says. We have to believe her because she studies up on the latest design trends and she’s helped hundreds of home buyers over the years to create their dream spaces down to every last detail, including, yes… the paint colors.
She says the current, most popular colors are light, muted grays; “beachy” pastel blues and greens; soft shades of white. “It’s pretty typical for customers to say they want to do a bold color—but few follow through—most stick with a light neutral like gray and beige,” she explains.
Here are seven savvy tips that Entler offers to help you pick the perfect hue for you!
2. Feeling Blue for Bedtime: Blue is the most popular color to paint a bedroom. People feel it is “relaxing”, “serene” and “restful”
3. Get with the Flow: When choosing paint colors for the different spaces in your home—be mindful of how each area flows into the adjacent areas, and select colors with the same tones and undertones. Your home should have an overall flow, and all paint colors should make sense together.
4. Hit the (Fifth) Wall: Don’t forget the “fifth wall” of your rooms! Painting the ceiling will give the room a more finished look. Consider using the same color as your walls, but adding white to it to take it a few shades lighter. Whatever you choose, keep it light and neutral. Remember that darker colors tend to create the illusion of a lower ceiling; while white creates an airy, open feeling.
5. Have an Accent: Painting a room a dark or bold color can be risky. A popular and inexpensive way to add a “pop” of color to a room is to paint an “accent” color on one wall. The color you choose should be in the same shade family and have the same warm or cool undertone as the general paint color. You’re less likely to get tired of the color too soon and it’s much easier to keep up with color trends when you only have one wall to repaint!
6. Contrast your Trim: Contrast your wall color with your trim color. Even a light neutral color on your walls will look more interesting when it’s paired with bright white on your baseboards, crown molding and window sills. The bright white will bring out the “color” of your neutral.
7. Think Big Picture: When we work with a customer to select a general paint color for a brand new home, and we don’t have any idea what their furniture of décor looks like; our goal is to find a neutral color with the proper undertone to complement their cabinets, flooring, countertop and tile choices. All components should be considered as a whole and the general paint color needs to look good with everything they’ve chosen.
If you’re interested in talking with someone at M/I Homes, call Laura at (513) 268-8460 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whether it’s getting a nicer room on vacation, or front row at a fashion show, I love it when I can splurge a little and upgrade to VIP. But upgrading to VIP for FREE? Talk about a win-win!
That’s what M/I Homes offers with their VIP list. It’s free to sign up, and when you’re on it, you’re the first to find out about new communities, plus you’ll get info about pricing and plans before they’re released publicly.
For example, there’s a new community coming soon to the Mason area called Ambleside and M/I Homes just released the site map to those on our VIP list. Plans and pricing for this community haven’t been released yet, but if you join the VIP list, you will get the info first!
Ambleside is within the Mason City School District – one of Ohio’s highest-ranked districts – which educates more than 10,000 students in an early childhood center, (pre-k, k, 1, 2) one elementary school (2-3), an intermediate campus (4-6), a middle school (7-8) and high school (9-12).
The community itself offers 122 single family 60’ wide homesites to choose from, with the option of some cul-de-sac homesites as well. Other perks include community pool, ponds and nature trails, with easy access to 741 and I-71.
Check out this gorgeous community and see what some of these new homes in Mason will look like. You’ll also get to see what the community streetscape will look like! You can also click here to watch an aerial tour video – it’s just dirt for now, but gives you an idea of where the community is located and the terrain!
If you’re interested in talking with someone at M/I Homes or being one of the first to see the new Ambleside community, call Laura at (513) 268-8460 or email her at email@example.com. And don’t forget to sign up for the VIP list!
Estrella. Meaning “star” in Spanish, this new community soon to be developed by M/I Homes is sure to be a star when people start to find out and see it in person!
M/I Homes just purchased the land for the forthcoming Estrella community. It’s across the street from Amelia High School, includes 91 acres and 113 homesites to choose from. It also has easy access to highways, shopping (including Eastgate Mall), and schools.
It’s an up-and-coming area too with lots of good things to come on the horizon! In fact, the Estrella community is just down the street from a brand new, state-of-the-art school that Clermont County is building to replace Amelia High School. Click here to read a story on WLWT about it!
The Estrella community will feature pocket parks, walking trails and about 44% of it will remain as open space! Sounds amazing! There will be a model home (which I’m sure will be beautifully decorated!) soon built in this community, and there will be a grand opening event to officially welcome everyone to check it out.
If you’d like to learn more about M/I Homes and where they are in Cincinnati, click here! Or, if you’re interested in talking with someone at M/I Homes or being one of the first to see the new Estrella model home, call Laura at (513) 268-8460 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s amazing how quickly technology changes, and how much each little advancement makes life so much easier.
Today, technology is finding its way into every aspect of life to make everyday living a little easier. And keep in mind that technology isn’t just limited to your phone, tablet and PC (although many have apps that connect to your mobile devices). It’s in your car, it’s in your fashion (I just got a cool new bag that charges my phone on-the-go!), and it’s definitely in your home.
I’ve been searching for new ways to make our home a little “smarter,” and I came across the Smart Series of Homes blogs from M/I Homes. There, I found a great post featuring five fab ways to make your home a little (ok, a LOT) smarter, with fun things like a robot that cleans your gutter, wifi enabled sprinkler, electronic doggy door, touchscreen deadbolt, and a WiFi-enabled device that acts as your garage door opener.
We actually just switched out our old deadbolt with one of the Schlage touchscreen deadblots for our house and I LOVE it – you just type in a quick passcode instead of using a key! My daughter is now tall enough to reach locks, so it’s nice to know that I won’t get locked out with her inside if I take something out to the trash can or bring a package inside! haha!
The garage door app one was my favorite ideas from the blog series because it allows you to open and close your garage door with your smartphone from anywhere in the world. Plus, you can connect to a weather service so it closes automatically when it rains, or a location service so it automatically opens when you arrive! One thing I loved about ALL the ideas is that they’re all super affordable. They all ranged from $199-$349!
There was also this great post from the series featuring a bunch of ideas for updating your home with Security Systems and Cameras, and then this one on garage/outdoors! Oh, I hear there’s another smart blog in the series coming soon by M/I Homes, so I can’t wait to read that one too!
If you’d like to learn more about the smart M/I Homes and where they are in Cincinnati, click here! Or, if you’re interested in talking with someone at M/I Homes or seeing one of these models in person, call Laura at (513) 268-8460 or email her at mailto:email@example.com.
I love learning about new trends. They’re fascinating! I’m always reading the style blogs during New York Fashion Week to see which trends are emerging. And actually, interior design trends closely follow fashion trends so it’s neat to see how those translate. I talked with Jenny Entler, Design Center Manager at M/I Homes, to see which trends are the hottest right now in home decor and here’s her list:
1) Industrial-Style Light Fixtures (Edison Bulbs, Metals, Open Framework, “Caged” lights) The industrial trend is growing as more homes incorporate vintage electric design elements. Pair industrial designs with rustic-inspired interiors as a way to warm up this popular trend.
2) “Farmhouse” Style Exterior Elevation Features (White Siding, Board & Batten Siding, Stone foundations, Metal Roofs, Rough-Raw Timber accents) This is a shabby chic way to freshen up your look in a lived-in way without it looking overly-polished. It’s also an opportunity to go green and use reclaimed wood if you go with the timber accents.
3) Black Windows (interior and exterior frame color black) I love this trend because it makes the windows pop and frames the view outside turning the windows into works of art. The black window trim and windows makes the space look more custom and helps anchor the room. Black trim is beautiful and can be so classy when done right. Inside and outside, adding black trim adds a dramatic custom touch that adds so much character that can be as affordable as a can of black paint.
4) “Modern Farmhouse” Décor. This trend takes traditional elements found in old farmhouses and giving them a modern update. Examples: An Apron-front sink “farmhouse sink” in Stainless Steel in lieu of Cast-Iron; Open shelves in the Kitchen in lieu of cabinets; Rustic Hardwood flooring in a trendy Gray tone.
5) Barn Doors on Hanging Rails (Interior) Remember, sliding doors are not just limited to traditional doorways in your home. Use them as a room divider, closet doors or for pantry doors. You can use them to cover openings of rooms such as Mud Room, Laundry Rooms, Pantries, Den/Offices.
6) Pet “Centers.” Many stylish people are letting their houses go to the dogs …and the cats and the birds… without sacrificing style or comfort. Easily add a Pet Center to your home with food storage/beds/showers/feeding bowls, built-in, in a location such as a Mud Room.
7) Spa Showers. Bathrooms with no tub at all — just a large “spa” shower with multiple shower heads, hand-held showers, body sprays, etc. Jetted tubs, whether whirlpool or air, are decreasing in popularity, according to National Kitchen & Bath Association’s latest trend report on what’s driving bathroom design this year.
8) Charging Stations. USB ports built-in to the electrical outlets in key locations “Charging Stations” (Master Bedroom, Kitchen, Drop Zones, Office/Den/Study) By adding one or two USB ports alongside your standard plugs, you can plug your phone, tablet, camera, or other electronic device straight into the wall, eliminating the need for bulky USB adapters that typically hog valuable space.
9) Going Neutral. White/gray/neutral color palettes for Cabinets/Countertops/Hardwood Flooring and Tile (think Restoration Hardware) Decorating with neutral colors offers a multitude of ways to add personality to your rooms, proving that neutral decor is anything but dull. Soft hues, such as beige, khaki, and rain-cloud gray, create a calming atmosphere that’s perfect for the place you call home.
10) Large-Format Tiles. Large format tile, or LFT, is one of the hottest flooring trends. The traditional 12in. x12in. size has been doubled and even tripled …trending sizes are 12” x 24”; 24” x 24”; 7” x 20”; 3” x 36” in tons of materials and finishes from polished porcelain tiles to sleek, modern glass, and wood-look tiles, the best looks have been expanded to stunning proportions. Because each tile covers more square feet, fewer grout lines are required during installation resulting in a more streamlined design.
11) Warm Metals (copper, gold, “antique gold”, rose gold) Warm-tone metals have risen in popularity again, this time certainly as a reaction to the past few decades of technical and austere-looking white and silver tones that seem to be everywhere in architecture and industrial design. However, this new wave of warm metals is more refined and has more breadth than its predecessors, with nuances of finish options being seen in everything from building façades down to appliances, flatware, decorative objects, lighting, accessories, frames and wall art and plumbing fixtures.
12) Quartz Replacing Granite. Granite and marble have long been the reigning high-end countertop material of choice — but if you’ve browsed a kitchen showroom recently, you may have noticed that these swanky stones are being usurped by quartz. According to the National Kitchen and Bath Association, manufactured quartz is now the leading countertop material — and with good reason: Quartz doesn’t need to be sealed like Granite does…and comes in a variety of controllable colors and styles (you can’t control the color or pattern of granite — what you see is what you get.)