Wow. That’s the word that keeps coming to mind when I think about the amazingness that is Zephyr Blowout Salon. They did the hair for the fashion show at our “New Year, New You” event on Friday, and I was blown away (pardon the pun).
I sat down them their team at the event to learn a little more about them — the Q&A is below, along with some of my favorite looks from the show. ENJOY! And DEFINITELY give them a call if you need your hair to look the best it’s ever looked for a special event (or a day where you just need to look and feel fab!) 🙂 Click here to visit their site or click here to like them on FB!
1) What made you want to work in the salon industry and become the owner of Zephyr Blowout Salon? Cincy Chic did an awesome story on us about our backstory. Click here to check it out.
2) Why did you choose to focus on blowouts? I was working as a corporate event planner and was ready for something else. In the fall of 2013 my Dad pointed out an article in the NYT about DryBar franchising. I had been to other blowout bars in other cities over the past couple of years and loved it! At the time I was hair inept and would take any opportunity for someone else to style my hair. Needless to say, interest was piqued, and I applied for one of their franchises. At the time, they were focusing more on their corporately owned salons and were not taking outside franchisees. After hearing that my Dad and I decided to open our own blowout salon. My Dad and brother-in-law are entrepreneurs and owning something of my own has always been something I wanted to do.
3) What inspired you to choose the name “Zephyr” besides the definition of the word? A Zephyr is a wind from the west or a gentle breeze.
When I was telling my Dad the way I wanted the salon to look like (ie. ice blue, white, shine) he started thinking of names. The word lends itself not only to the look of the salon but also the dryers (blowing).
My Dad and I are also huge Red Hot Chili Peppers fans and the Zephyr Song is our favorite RHCP song. 🙂
4) What makes getting a blowout at Zephyr unique compared to other salons or doing it yourself? There are the obvious reasons: not having to do your hair yourself, your hair looks better styled by a professional, etc.
However, there are technical reasons as well: a blowout’s main component is round brushing the hair. Anyone can round brush their hair, however, it is near impossible to get the tension you need to stretch the hair out and set it. Also, there is no way a person can get the angle they need to round brush the back of their head as well as someone that is standing directly behind them.
A Zephyr Blowout is unique because of the product we use and our method. We are a Pureology exclusive salon. Pureology is Redken’s high-end brand. It is made specifically for color-treated hair and they have amazing styling products. At Zephyr we provide custom blowouts. We don’t have a book for people to choose a style they see on someone else. Each client gets a consult before their shampoo where the stylist assesses their hair (as to choose the correct shampoo) and talks to them about what style they want and what will look best with their face shape/ dress their wearing/ where they’re wearing their blowout. That way they are getting a blowout that is specific to their needs, for both their hair and the style they want. Pureology is a very extensive line and we don’t use the same combo of products on anyone.
5) What kinds of parties do you typically host? We’ve been open for about 18 months and over that time we’ve host all kinds! Bachelorette parties, birthday parties (little girls and adults), day of wedding parties, networking events, Beauty Basic Training (clients come in and learn how to style hair from our stylists and makeup from the Nordstrom Trish McEvoy team). The salon is available to rent for any party or event!
6) Can all types of hair get a Zephyr blowout? Yes, absolutely! Any hair can get blown out and like I said we have different products for different hair types.
7) How long can a blowout last and do I need to buy any special products to maintain my blowout? A blowout is setting a lasting style…think about when your Grandmother would go to the salon every week and get her hair set. It’s the modern day version! We have clients that come weekly and don’t wash it between blowouts.
A blowout can last as long as you maintain it. You can do thinks like sleeping with it up in a loose bun, showering with a shower cap to keep any moisture from getting to the hair, not touching it a lot (something most women struggle with), adding to the style as the week goes on (throwing some curls in), using Dry Shampoo (on the root and hitting it with the dryer) & Dry Condition (on the ends to freshen them up). We also have other Pureology styling products that you can use on dry hair and pump a style back up.
8) Will continuous blowouts damage my hair? Continually getting blowouts and maintaining them are actually better for your hair. You are not stripping your hair with multiple shampoos/dries/styles a week (think more heat!)
9) How far in advance should I schedule an appointment? We recommend calling the week of for a weekend appointment or for a weekday appointment calling the day before or day of should be okay.
We are open:
- 11a-7p Tuesday (Just started in 2016/ appointments available upon request)
- 11a-7p Wednesday-Friday (Early AM appointments are available upon request starting at 7a)
- 9a-7p Saturday
- 10a-3p Sunday (Appointments upon request)