Financial New Year’s Resolution? Contact Roderick Gosa

Roderick Gosa

You may not know this, but I also manage Cincinnati Profile, the male version of Cincy Chic! I just brought on a new finance columnist for the publication, Roderick Gosa, who is an Ameriprise Advisor. But I knew after first chatting with him that he was so much more.

I know a lot of people are making new year’s resolutions to get things in their life back on track, finances being one of them. So, I thought I’d have you virtually “meet” Rod, so you can see what makes him so unique, and why I trust him to give great financial info to our readers.

Here’s a little bit about him from his words…

It is said that the average worker will have 7 careers in their professional lives. Well, o.k. then! I had that number beat by the time I turned 35. My career progression has been as follows; 1) Manager trainee at Kroger, 2) U.S. Navy, Supply Corps Officer, 3)Asst. Store manager, Kroger, 4)Asst. Wholesale Club manager, The Wholesale Club, 5) Asst. Store manager, Cub Foods, 6) General Manager in-training, Makro wholesale, 7) Produce Counselor, Supervalu Foods distributor, 8) Store Manager, Circuit City, 9) Store Manager, Best Buy, 10) Stock Broker, Morgan Stanley-Dean Witter, and for more than 16 years, 11) Financial Advisor, Ameriprise Financial (formerly American Express Financial Advisors).

The first half of my working life was spent exploring and then, finally, I was asked a question by one of my leaders that changed everything for me … “WDYWFY”? What do you want for you? The question may sound simple enough but once you seriously consider it, and answer it truthfully, invariably it will force you to realize that a change may need to be made. It certainly did for me! I now begin every conversation with new potential clients with some version of this question. At Ameriprise, we help people plan for tomorrow so that they can live for today. Carpe diem!

For those who visit my offices in Mason, Ohio there is at least a 90% chance that you will hear jazz music playing when you enter.(The other 10%, I’ll be listening to either classical Baroque or Southern blues music.) Not to disparage any of the other music genres (I am a fan of any music when it is played well) but Jazz is my favorite. When you visit my website you will notice that oftentimes I will mention the various jazz festivals that my wife, Anita, and I may plan to, or have already travelled to. It is not uncommon to repeatedly encounter many of my fellow jazz lovers at the same venues across the country. I have had the pleasure of meeting several national performers in our travels such as the late Dave Brubeck, three of the Marsalis brothers, Wynton, Branford and Delfeayo, Esperanza Spalding, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Gregory Porter and numerous regional and local entertainers. The jazz scene is truly a community.

As a denizen of any positive community, you want to do that which you can to help it thrive. So is my desire to be a positive influence in the Cincinnati Profile community. Click here to read last month’s “Changing Your Money Mindset” column and my “Making the Most of Charitable Giving” column that just published today! I trust that you will find these articles to be helpful and informative. If you’d like to find out more about me and what I do or to request a complimentary initial consultation, please visit my website at

Leave a Reply